Why do you need to think story?
Human beings tell stories. It’s what we do when we’re children, when we chat while standing in line with a stranger and when we discuss projects at work.
Stories help people learn, digest and share information. They move us, inspire us, and help us be more creative. Stories seal teams and transmit culture. Stories convey the knowledge needed in today’s business environment far more effectively than the usual business tools can alone. A well-told story makes facts and figures come alive in a way that a slide show cannot.
When businesses and non-profits capitalize on our storytelling nature, it is inevitable that we communicate more effectively, work more efficiently and develop products or services that better meet our customers’ needs. We engage our stakeholders and build stronger organizations. We know who we are, as a company, as employees, as advocates.
When you tell a story, people listen. And they remember. And when you listen to your co-workers, employees and customers’ stories, it tells them you care about their needs and input far more than just throwing them an annual party.
thinkstory can help you and your stakeholders develop a constructive storytelling and listening practice. You’ll end up with the tools and training to help each other in the future and to move your organization toward sustainable action.
News updates 20 January 2015!
- Did you enjoy my newest newsletter? Let me know what you think, I want to make sure it’s as useful as possible. And if you didn’t get it please sign up for my mailing list over to the right. I promise never to spam you or sell your name.
- I am delighted to announce that I have been interviewed by the Spanish Professional Storytellers’ Association. You can read the interview here.
- I will be leading a Storytelling for Nonprofits workshop at Nonprofit Connect in February. I will also be teaching two single-session Introduction to Storytelling classes, one in January and the other in March through Communiversity and am offering a workshop on Love Stories in February at Aquarius Books.
- I’ve started a new storytelling column on my blog. Ask the storyteller answers your questions about story, process, performance and more.Take a look!
- I am honored to announce I have had an article on grief and how to help the grieving published by the Desmond Tutu Peace Foundation. You can read it here.
- If you’re interested in any of my personal journey over the last few months please check out my blog.